Town Parks & Facilities
Tomahawk Lake Park
> Tomahawk Lake Park Trail System
Tomahawk Lake Park Trail System
Interpretive Nature Experience
Cross Country Skiing - Mountain Biking – Hiking – Interpretive Nature Experience
- Location - Parking at Tomahawk Lake Park, 54585 Moore Road, Barnes WI 54873, and Barnes Road trailhead.
- Beautiful Scenery - The trail wanders through the rolling hills of the surrounding forest. There are great vistas of lakes and majestic stands of pine. Ruffedgrouse, deer, and bald eagles are examples of the wildlife you may see.
- Groomed ski trails - Most of the trail system is groomed for both skating and classic skiing. The ~2 km blue Timber Wolf Trail is groomed for classic only. The trail network maximizes available downhill runs with safe glide outs, while maintaining minimum grades for the uphill segments. If you enjoy listening to the wind whistle past your ears this trail is for you.
- Well marked - Color coded reflective delineators and arrow signs keep you headed in the right direction and on the appropriate trail. Maps with "You Are Here" markers are posted at trail intersections.
- Trail length - The trails total approximately 14km (8 miles) with multiple loop options, from 2 – 10km, to allow you to adjust the distance of your visit.
- Take a break - A heated park shelter with changing room greets visitors at the parking lot trailhead. There are rest benches along the trail. A three-sided shelter provides a rest stop further from the park along the yellow Whitetail Turnpike. Feel free to build a fire during the winter and bring a lunch!
- Mountain Biking - The hilly nature of the trail makes it ideal for a mountain bike workout. The woods look totally different in the summer. Take the opportunity to get off the roads and back to nature.
- Hiking - Enjoy the trail on foot, especially on a pleasant fall day when the air is crisp and the fall colors are at their peak.
- Interpretive Nature Experience - Trail signs feature local wildlife and provide a real-time learning opportunity with QR codes and tracking information. Bring the family for a day of exploration!
- Trail Rules and Safety
- Carry out all litter and garbage.
- During ski season, do not walk on the groomed portion of the trails.
- Let someone know where you are going and when you expect to return.
- No motorized vehicles allowed!
Friends of Tomahawk Lake Park
The notices, agendas, minutes and postings on the Town website are for informational purposes only.
They may not be the most current version and therefore are NOT considered the official or legal copy.
CONTACT THE TOWN
Mon., Tues., Thurs., Fri. 8:00 AM - Noon
3360 County Highway N, Barnes, WI 54873